Last updated on November 4th, 2022 at 05:16 am
Extra baggage fees may vary depending on various factors such as flight route, transit time, and the airline operating the flight. Therefore, Turkish Airlines worries about your extra baggage concerns and expectations.
Therefore, you don’t need to worry whether the size and weight of your baggage will exceed the baggage allowance in the cabin and cargo area. You can use a baggage calculator to look up destination-based registered baggage rights and find out about extra baggage fees. Your free baggage allowance may not be unlimited, so you might receive an unpleasant surprise at the airport if you exceed it. You can avoid such situations and save time by purchasing an extra baggage allowance.
Terms & Conditions
Extra baggage Sales Rules
- Extra baggage sales are only available to ticketed passengers.
- Passengers can purchase extra baggage allowance only once through online channels.
- Passengers who have previously purchased additional baggage allowance are unable to repurchase it.
- Airlines do not consider specific items such as sports equipment/musical instruments as extra baggage.
- Passengers can buy allowances for special-status baggage at sales offices.
- Online channels of Turkish Airlines allow users to purchase extra baggage in increments of 5 kg/1 piece up to 230 kg/10 pieces.
- There is a limit of 32 kg for one piece of luggage. Transporting extra baggage over 32 kg requires separate transport. In addition, your luggage cannot exceed 158 cm in total size (width, length, and height).
- The sale of extra baggage on Turkish Airlines flights begins 355 days before the flight and ends 2 hours before takeoff.
- The airport must charge an additional baggage fee equal to the weight difference between the checked baggage allowance and the extra baggage allowance purchased on routes that use the kilogram concept.
- The maximum weight of one piece of luggage on routes with a piece baggage concept is 23 kg for Economy Class & Business Class. Therefore, extra baggage weighing between 23 and 32 kg will charge you $80 per piece on these routes.
- Extra baggage fees and rules apply to Anadolu Jet flights that transit Turkish Airlines flights.
- Anadolu Jet baggage rules apply to trips that include only Anadolu Jet flights.
- Purchasing extra baggage for flights on multiple airlines is not possible online except for Anadolu Jet. However, sales offices can provide information on these flight fees, terms, & conditions.
- It is not possible to transport infants as extra baggage. Parents traveling with infants can bring a bassinet with a maximum dimension of 115 cm on all flights. The aircraft holds and accepts baby strollers for free.
- The capacity of the aircraft may limit the sale of additional baggage.
- Extra baggage sales for group passengers are only available at counters.
Check Also: Turkish Airlines First Class
Extra Baggage Charge & Refund Rules
- Before the flight, Turkish Airlines can refund extra baggage purchased online.
- It is not possible to partially refund extra baggage purchased through online channels. However, passengers can request a refund for their excess baggage allowances on all flights & purchase new excess baggage allowances for updated flights.
- Extra baggage allowance cannot be transferred to other passengers accompanying the passenger or to the passenger’s other flights.
- Extra baggage cannot be transferred automatically for passengers who have changed/reissued flights.
- Before the flight, Turkish Airlines sales offices can refund passengers for previous flights and provide extra luggage for new flights.
- If a flight is canceled or changed for reasons other than the passenger’s fault, the passenger may request a refund from the sales office within one year.
- If extra baggage that does not comply with the rules of sales or carriage cannot be transported, refunds will be issued only at sales offices before the flight.
- Extra baggage transportation is not guaranteed due to safety and operational concerns. In such cases, Turkish Airlines will present the best alternatives.
- After the flight, passengers cannot expect a refund for any unused extra baggage allowance.
- Customers who purchase extra baggage allowance online and upgrade to Business Class can reclaim the additional baggage allowance through the sales office.
General Baggage Rules
- Please double-check your total baggage allowance on your ticket before boarding.
- Due to operational constraints, your luggage may be transported on subsequent flights without your knowledge.
Related: Turkish Airlines Baggage Allowance
Step-By-Step Guide to Turkish Airlines Add Baggage Service
Turkish Airlines prides itself on being a customer-oriented airline. That is to say; they make sure that the passengers have a comfortable experience throughout their journey. Including availing of additional services, like – Adding Extra Baggage.
In order to avail of Turkish Airlines, Add Baggage service,
- Firstly, visit the official website for Turkish Airlines.
- Secondly, click on the Plan Book tab on the category bar.
- Thirdly, under additional services, click on Extra Baggage.
- Fourthly, enter your booking information & proceed.
- Ticket Number/Reservation Code
- Last Name
- Then, select the number of additional bags you require & finish the payment.
Alternatively, You Can Just Call Us & Spare Yourself This Hassle!
How To Purchase Extra Baggage with Miles?
It is possible to use Miles to purchase extra baggage. Purchase additional baggage with your Miles to make your journey more comfortable.
Terms and Conditions
- The number of eligible miles for extra baggage may vary depending on factors such as flight route, transit time, & airline operating flight.
- Extra baggage can be purchased using Miles through the Turkish Airlines website, sales offices mobile app, or by calling the call center.
- Only Miles Smiles members are eligible for extra baggage with Miles.
- Passengers can read more information on the extra baggage page on the official site.
- Passengers cannot purchase extra baggage with Miles when paying to award ticket taxes.
Check Also: How to Cancel a Turkish Airlines Flight?
● If your baggage allowance exceeds your allowance, Turkish Airlines will charge an extra bag of $160 to $290, depending on the destination.
● The cost per kilogram of luggage over 5 kilograms will range from $30 to $180.
● Turkish Airlines has a piece policy for some international routes. For example, economy passengers only permitted two pieces (each weighing 50 pounds), and business class only permitted two pieces (70 pounds each).
● There are no restrictions on the number of bags you can bring to any other destinations; there is only a weight limit.
● Passengers can divide their weight allotment among several bags at destinations that employ the weight concept.
● For example, in business class, you can bring 88 pounds, while 66 pounds is the maximum in the economy.
● Other locations employ the piece concept with economy allowing two bags (each weighing 50 pounds) and business allowing two bags (70 pounds each).
● Each bag must adhere to a maximum linear size of 62 inches.
● Turkish Airlines allows passengers to bring a personal item that fits under the seat in front of them into the cabin.
● Economy passengers may bring one carry-on bag.
● While business passengers may bring two carry-on bags measuring up to 21.6 x 15.7 x 9 inches and weighing up to 17.6 pounds.
However, you can get additional baggage allowance for your flight by purchasing the Turkish Airlines Add Baggage service.