Last updated on November 4th, 2022 at 05:03 am
This guide will talk about Delta Flight Delays and their compensations. There are two types of delays — one that is significant and has a genuinely negative impact on you, and the second that is not so significant and thereby does not cause any trouble. If you want to read everything about Delta delays and their compensations, the guide is below,
Or, if you have suffered from a significant Delta flight delay and want to talk to someone regarding the compensation, you can speak to a competent person for genuine help at the Delta Airlines Customer Care Number.
Delta Flight Delay Compensation – What does It Mean?
Delta flight delay compensation means compensation for flights delayed by Delta Airlines. Many things can cause flight delays. Air travel is the most sensitive form of transportation. In particular, it is super sensitive to the weather conditions; even a minor change in the favourable weather conditions may lead to flight delays’
Thus, Delta Flight Delay Compensation means compensation for the flight delay known to the airline. Now, as we know what the expression means, let’s move on to the next section, which talks about what Delta has to talk about the same.
Delta Flight Delay Compensation: What does Delta Say about It?
The reference material also called Customer Commitment. For example, Delta Airlines talks about its responsibilities at the time-of-flight delays caused by it in this reference. However, that is not what Customer Commitment is all about.
The guide does not only talk about what Delta would do at the time-of-flight delays but also many other things like Delta Airlines’ responsibilities for providing you the low fare deal details, informing you of all the known delays, cancelations, diversions in advance, delivering baggage on time, etc.
Delta Flight Delay Compensation – Delta Airlines Customer Commitment
The Customer Commitment reference deals with the responsibilities of Delta. Further, it is not just a long textual material without any sub-headings. Under the reference, the content is divided into 12 points. These 12 points encompass Delta’s 12 types of responsibilities. And, therefore one of such 12 responsibilities is the responsibility of Delta for flight delays caused by him; the 2nd point talks about the same.
The 2nd point under the Customer commitment reference corresponds to Delta Airlines’ refund-related responsibility. However, it only deals with flight delays known to the airline. In other words, if Delta Airlines knows there will be a flight delay for some reason, it is only responsible for the same but not for any other one that was unknown to the airline.
Thus, the airline takes all the responsibility only if the delay is known to them. And, further, it has no responsibility or accountability in the cases of flight delays that even it does not know about. Anyway, now, let’s talk about what point 2 holds within itself for the passengers:
- Delta Airlines says that it will let every passenger know about any flight delay within just 30 minutes after its occurrence; and,
- Further, Delta says that it will use the following means of communication to achieve the goal mentioned under the preceding bullet point:
- By making announcements in the boarding areas;
- By using the screens called Gate Information Display Screens (GIDS). However, it depends on the availability of such screens;
- By the screens called Flight Information Display Screens. In shorthand, these screens referred to as FIDS;
- By the use of the available toll-free numbers;
- By the use of the TFNs used for making reservations; and,
- By the use of delta.com under the flight status and updates.
Delta uses all the above channels to disseminate the information in the case of flight delays.
Thus far, we have discussed what Delta has to say in the case of flight delays caused by it. And in our discussion, we learned that Delta takes full responsibility at the time of such delays and ensures that proper dissemination of the same takes place within a reasonable period.
Also check: Delta Name Change On Ticket
How to Claim Delta Flight Delay Compensation?
The best thing one can do in the case of a significant flight delay caused by Delta is to claim their delay compensation by following the ways given below.
Online Method to apply for Delta Delay Compensation
- Firstly, visit the official site of Delta Airlines.
- Secondly, click on the ‘My Trip’ option.
- Then, enter your ‘Ticket Reservation Number’ and your Full Name.
- Afterward, click on the specific flight reservation you want to claim compensation for.
- As your flight was delayed, you will get a refund and compensation option there.
- Therefore, click the Compensation option and fill in all the required details.
- Then click on submit.
- Afterward, you will receive a confirmation message or mail for your Delta Flight Delay Compensation.
- Lastly, if payment was made by card, compensation will take 7 to 10 working days, and in case of payment was made through cash or cheque, compensation will take 15 to 20 days.
Also check: Delta Airlines Book a Flight
Offline Method to apply for Delta Flight Delay Compensation.
Via Customer Care Service
- Firstly, visit the official website of Delta Flights; you can also see any social media handles such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
- Secondly, click on ‘Contact Us’ or ‘Helpline Number.’
- Afterward, you will be connected to the Customer Care Service of Delta Airlines.
- Therefore, follow the IVR instructions step by step. This will connect you to the airline representative.
- Then, ask them to proceed with your Delta Flight Delay Compensation Procedure.
- Ensure you provide them with all the required details regarding your delayed flight.
- Afterward, you will receive a confirmation message or mail for your Delta Flight Delay Compensation.
- Lastly, if payment was made by card, compensation will take 7 to 10 working days, and in case payment was made through cash or cheque, compensation will take 15 to 20 days.
Compensation and Refund for a Delta Delayed Flight
- Passengers could claim flight delay compensation if the flight was delayed for three or more than 3 hours.
- Passengers could claim a refund for a flight cancellation if the flight was canceled 2 hours before the flight departure.
- Delta Airlines will refund the passengers if the flight is canceled by the airline itself.
- Refund cost depends on the types of seats from the different cabins. As they carry additional refund charges.
- Compensation for a delayed flight is based on your original flight arrival time.
- If the flight was delayed in arrival by 3, then passengers can’t request flight delay compensation.
Flight Delay Compensation Chart
|Distance||B/W 3-4 Hours||B/W 4-5 Hours|
|Less than 1500 KMs||€250||€250|
|Between 1500-3500 KMs||€400||€400|
|More than 3500 KMs||€300||€600|
Reimbursement for Cancelled Flight
As per Airline Policy, the airline would reimburse for a cancelled flight in case it is done respective airline cancelled the flight.
There are situations when airlines provide vouchers to the passengers in place of their full refund. Passengers are free to accept the airline vouchers, or they can request Reimbursement for a Cancelled Flight.
Airlines also provide Future Flight Credit or credits to passengers if they request a refund for Non-Refundable tickets. These Future Credit can be used to make new ticket reservations in the future. Make sure to use these Credits within one year as these are only valid for one year from the issued date.
If passengers don’t use the credits within one year of the issued date, the credits will expire, and they won’t be able to use them.
Alternative of Delta Flight Delay Compensation
Delta Airlines provide several services and offers to the passengers, in case of flight cancelation or delay by nearly 2-3 hours. These facilities can be named as part of Flight Delay compensation.
These services and offers are provided to passengers so they can compensate in the refund value and help reduce the loss by adjusting it another way.
- Complimentary refreshments, Meals, and Beverage
Delta Airlines offer their passengers complimentary refreshments, meals, and beverages as part of compensation.
- Free Phone Call Service
Delta Airlines offer passengers free phone call service. Therefore passengers are free to use this facility and can contact anyone. In addition, passengers can make two free phone calls, a fax service, and an email.
- Flight Rebooking
Delta Airlines will rebook passenger’s flight to the same destination as their original flight in case the flight was delay more than 5 hours.
- Flight Refund
Passengers can also apply for their entire refund if passengers are not willing to travel on another flight or cannot rebook another flight. The airline will transfer your total refund to your source of payment.
What Best Should You Do After Delta Flight Delay?
The best thing one can do in the case of a significant flight delay caused by Delta is to use the phone call method — yes, the phone call method. If you don’t know anything about it, let me tell you. The phone call method means if you have suffered from a significant flight delay, you can use a toll-free number and make a phone call to the airline.
However, one defect to the method or this policy is that it might take you so long before you talk to someone. Delta airlines is not a small airline company. It is a big name in the air travel industry within the U.S.
Because the airline is a major one, many use it daily for air travel. So, it is natural that many people call Delta for many reasons. Therefore sometimes, lines may be busy, or you even might not be able to make any contact with the airline.
If that happens, you must wait for a very long time before someone picks your call up on Delta Airlines. You can take it as an alternative.
Yes, Delta Airlines compensate for domestic and international flights to their customer. In case your flight delayed in arriving at your destination for more than 3 hours. In order to know how to claim a compensation, read our blog “Delta Flight Delay Compensation” above.
As noted above, if Delta Flight Delayed, passengers are eligible to request a refund or compensation from the airline. They can use the above-given methods to apply for a refund and compensation.
For Domestic Flight, the airline can’t delay the flight by 3 hours.
For International Flight, the airline can’t delay the flight by 4 hours.